This is a handy sheet which summarises the amaal for the day – great for children to use!
One of the main amaal that is done on this night is taking the names of the Masumeen with the Quran on our heads. What better way to help our children understand why they are doing this than by helping them learn a characteristic of theirs?
There are different ways of doing this, Alhamd!
A mum has kindly written up the notes for the 14 Masumeen, for children who would like to learn about the personalities – especially when we take their names when holding the Quran on our heads during the big nights of Laylatul Qadr:
A lot of the information was taken from Meet The Masumeen (http://www.sunbehindthecloud.com/masumeen.html), which I would HIGHLY recommend as a book for children to read tonight if they want to stay awake but don’t want to do any more amaals.
Another resource i came across is: The Twelve Imams – An interactive and educational coloring book. This is great for younger children, has a little bit on information alongside the pictures. However, i cannot find any info on it on the internet so if you know more about it, please do message, so people know where to get it Inshallah!
And here is another overview that is downloadable from: http://www.islamfromthestart.com/2015/07/amaal-of-quran.html
“The 14 Masumeen taught us how to live by the Qur’an.
They are the best examples for us to copy and follow.
O Allah Help us to be like the Masumeen who You love the most
Like Muhammad (SAW) Give us the most excellent manners
Like Ali (as) Make us brave and ready to do what makes You happy
Like Fatema (as) Let us be kind and caring towards our parents
Like Hassan (as) Help us to be calm and forgiving
Like Husayn (as) Keep us with the truthful
Like Ali Zain Ul Abideen (as) Keep us busy in remembering You
Like Muhammad al Baqir (as) Give us knowledge that is useful
Like Jaffer As Sadiq (as) Make us appreciate the amazing world You have created
Like Musa Al Kadhim (as) Help us to control our anger
Like Ali Ar Ridha (as) Make us pleased with whatever You have planned for us
Like Muhammad At Taqi (as) Make us of those who have taqwa
Like Ali Un Naqi (as) Help us to lead the Muslims towards good
Like Hasan Al Askari (as) Help us to use our time in preparing for the 12th Imam
Like Your Hujjat Al Mahdi (ATF)
May we bring peace by acting on the teachings of the Quran and the Ahlulbayt.”
As the biggest night approaches quickly, just have a question for all mums out there. As it is holidays for most, and with summer nights being shorter, many children are staying up until Fajr, or as much as possible.
Once back from mosque with main amaals done, what do your children do? Once mine have thought about and written their duas and done a bit, I encourage them to read or look at the Islamic books/stories we have at home to help pass the time…would love any other suggestions?
P.S. When asked this on facebook, here is a great reply I got: “We design and handmake eid cards, prep and do eid poster and wrap eid gifts and goodies, meanwhile keep jawshane kabeer playing in the background… Or any other dua… We also try baking treats at night… For older kids – watching movies from shiasource.com, such as Yusuf , or doing salatul Layl…”
This link may come in handy for younger children: http://www.crayola.com/coloring-pages/ramadan.aspx
And how about these sheets for older children to work through: http://db.tt/LhJuQV8E
P.P.S. We also got sent in a picture of Laylatul Qadr cookies someone made which we have shared on this post!
Here are a collection of resources on Laylatul Qadr and also on Imam Ali (as)’s shahadat. They are often intertwined so i have placed them under one post.
- My Laylatul Qadr Journal by Buzz Ideazz (Children aged 7 to 15).
- Also downloadable as a soft copy here: Buzz Ideazz Laylatul Qadr Journal for Older Children
- Laylatul Qadr booklet by Islam From The Start
- Laylatul Qadr booklet for older children by Towards Jannah
- Laylatul Qadr Amaal and Activity Book for younger children by Towards Jannah
- Laylatl Qadr Amaal Lapbook by Towards Jannah
- My Little Amaal Book
- Booklet on the 19th of Ramadan for children and youth by Jaffari Tabligh Committee
- Booklet on the 23rd of Ramadan for children by Jaffari Tabligh Committee
- Booklet on the 23rd of Ramadan for youth by Jaffari Tabligh Committee
- 21st Ramadan Activity Booklet on Imam Ali (as)
- 23rd Ramadan Activity Booklet on the Quran
- Imam Ali (as) Story Booklet
- Imam Ali (as) Colouring Book AND video by Islam From The Start
- My Laylatul Qadr Amaal Book
- A Powerpoint on Laylatul Qadr
- My Sura Qadr workbook by QFatima
- Sura Qadr Activity by Towards Jannah
- Imam Ali’s Will by Towards Jannah
- An Activity on Sura Ankabut by Towards Jannah
- An Activity on Sura Rum by Towards Jannah
- An Activity on Sura Dukhan by Towards Jannah
- Munajat of Imam Ali for kids by Towards Jannah
- I want to be like Imam Ali (as) booklet by Teaching Young Muslims
- Laylatul Qadr Booklet by Teaching Young Muslims
- The Night Before Qadr – A story by UmAimen
- Here are three PPTs on the main Suras to be recited on Laylatul Qadr
Hope it is handy, and pls keep Buzz Ideazz in your duas!